At Oma Rāpeti we recognise the importance of caring for the environment. If children are immersed and involved from a very young age they will develop a respectful disposition towards the world, helping to make it a better place to live. We are an environmentally conscious centre, recycling where we can, and using natural and recycled resources for teaching and play.
Exploration – Goal 4: Children experience an environment where they develop working theories for making sense of the natural, social, physical and material worlds.
- Children and whanau will be involved as much as possible in the procedures and practices of caring for the environment.
- We will ensure our outdoor environment includes the 'wonder' that nature has to offer. For example flowers, vegetables, and native flora and fauna.
- There will be dedicated recycling bins located around the centre to ensure teachers and children can recycle where appropriate.
- We will have a compost bin, bokashi bins, and worm farms to recycle food waste. As well as feeding fruit and vegetable scraps to the rabbits and chicken.
- We will use cloth nappies and reusable wipes whenever possible. We will also support any parent who wishes to use cloth nappies at the centre.
- To reduce power usage we will employ strategies such as turning off lights when not in use, installing eco light bulbs and turning off computers and electrical appliances at night.
- To reduce paper waste we will employ strategies such as reusing non-confidential office paper for art purposes, and accept kind donations of paper/cardboard to reuse.
- We will use bar soap instead of soap that comes in plastic.
- We recycle soft plastic.
- We minimise use of plastic items.We grow our own vegetables to eat.
- We buy in bulk to reduce packaging.
- We will use washing lines to minimise use of dryer where possible.